This has been one of my go to breakfasts this winter. It is surprisingly quick to whip up, filling and satisfying. The ground flaxseeds, chia seeds and hemp seeds provide fibre and anti-inflammatory omega 3 - omega 3 is also great for dry skin which is a common problem in winter. It is packed full of protein and healthy fats to balance your blood sugar to give you energy and help keep you full for the morning.
I chose these ingredients based on my intolerances, so it is gluten free, paleo and vegan. However, you can certainly make it your own by using a milk of choice and different fruits - grated pear, mashed banana or berries go really nicely. You can also use different protein powders and nut butters to suit your preferences.
This recipe serves 1.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 scoop protein powder (I used hemp/pea blend)
- 1/2 grated apple
- 1 tablespoon mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon almond butter
- Heat coconut milk in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add the almond meal, ground flaxseeds, chia seeds, cinnamon and protein powder. Stir in and reduce heat to let simmer for a couple of minutes, until it thickens and combines.
- Stir in grated apple, let simmer for another minute
- Pour into a bowl, top with seeds and almond butter and serve.